I have been so excited to publish my 100th blog post! I have had a lot of ups and downs through the last 99 posts between struggling with writer’s block, motivation issues, and the constant readjustments due to Army life. I am pleasantly surprised that I have stuck with blogging long enough to publish 100 posts. And I have my one year blogiversary coming up in about a week. So please stay tuned for a very special post in celebration of that blogging milestone as well!
After much brainstorming and lots of input from friends, I decided for my 100th post that I would share with you 100 of my favorite things. (A huge thank you to Aimee as this idea really was 100% hers!) Perhaps these 100 things will give you a bit more insight into who Shelbee is. Actually, you probably already have a pretty good idea of who Shelbee is because I am pretty open and honest in what I write here. So instead, I think this post may give you a better idea of who Michelle is (that’s me, in case you had any doubt). In fact, I will first let you in on this little secret…no one in my real life actually calls me Shelbee! Depending on when and where people have entered my life, they either call me Michelle or Micki. Shelbee was a silly alter ego that my friend Alicia M. and I made up many years ago and we would refer to ridiculous things that I did as “Shelbee did it”! And it’s kind of funny because my kids refer to Shelbee in the the third person as well as if it is not really me but this alter ego who exists somewhere in internet land. And my mannequin that was gifted to me from my friend Aimee and her mom, of course, her name is Shelbee. But please, blogger friends, do not feel as if you can no longer call me Shelbee because she and I are inherently the same being. And all of my stories shared here are genuinely and 100% me…Michelle, Micki, Shelbee! So here we go!
100 of My Favorite Things in 10 Categories
(These are in no particular order. Some are blogging related, others are not.)
10 of My Favorite Brands/Stores to Shop
(Most of these stores are on this list because there is very limited shopping where I live!)
1. Gap Factory
2. Old Navy
6. Famous Footwear
8. New York & Company
9. Cato Fashions
10. The Salvation Army Family Store (This is a recent shopping experience, but one I have grown to love!)
10 of My Favorite Blogs
(These were very difficult to narrow down to 10. You can find more of my favorite blogs here.
1. The World According to Eve
2. Spy Girl
3. Sheela Writes
4. Not Dressed as Lamb
5. Kremb de la Kremb
6. Fashion Should Be Fun
7. Fashion Fairy Dust
8. Fake Fabulous
9. Elegantly Dressed and Stylish
10. 50 Is Not Old
Thanks to all of you for your continued support and inspiration! The blogging world is an amazing community of fabulous people and I am so grateful to be part of it!
10 of My Favorite Movies
(This list actually contains 13 movies because I included the sequels to 3 of them.)
10 of My Favorite Fashion Trends
1. Dresses worn over pants.
2. Maxi cardigans/dusters/vests.
3. Tunics, especially asymmetrical hemmed tunics.
5. Tassel jewelry.
6. Scarves, of course, worn every which way!
7. Tee shirt dresses with sneakers.
8. Flat form sandals.
9. Boyfriend jeans and flared denim.
10. Maxi and midi skirts and dresses.
10 of My Favorite Things in My Closet
1. My Kitten Mary Jane shoes.
2. My thrifted burgundy velvet blazer.
3. My butterfly kimono.
4. My red cape.
5. My furry vest.
6. My Jennifer Lopez cowl neck sweaters.
7. My glitter sneakers.
8. My denim jacket.
9. My leopard print sweatshirt.
10. My green plaid cardigan.
(I didn’t include my scarves on this list because there are too many and I love them all and they would have occupied the top 10 spots!)
10 of My Favorite Topics to Discuss Passionately
1. Mental health issues.
2. Pride of ownership and work ethic.
3. LGBT rights and tolerance.
4. Grammar (for real).
5. Arbitrary rules.
6. General respect for others, common courtesy.
7. Religious beliefs.
8. Army life.
9. Fashion, of course.
10. My children and family…always a favorite.
10 of My Favorite Books
1. Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
2. Emma, Pride and Prejudice, and really all of Jane Austen’s works.
3. Magical Thinking by Augusten Burroughs.
4. My Uncle Oswald by Roald Dahl.
5. The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien.
6. Warrior of the Light by Paulo Coelho.
7. Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides.
8. Madness: A Bipolar Life by Marya Hornbacher.
9. The Sociopath Next Door by Martha Stout, Ph.D.
10. Stiff by Mary Roach.
10 of My Favorite Shelbee on the Edge Blog Posts
1. Old Friends are the Best Friends
2. The Real Story Behind Deployment
3. Is It Weird to Tell a Female Stranger that She is Gorgeous?
4. 39 Lessons that I Have Learned on My Journey Out of the Darkness Into My Happiness
5. Stay Sassy…and Style Art Review
6. Here’s the Thing About Confidence
7. Vanity or Sanity?
8. Mind Your Words
9. Made with Love by Mom
10. I Literally Have Nothing to Say
10 of My Favorite Television Shows
1. Once Upon A Time
2. American Idol and The Voice (See how I cheat at this just to get one more favorite in there!)
3. Beverly Hills, 90210
6. The Mindy Project
7. 21 Jump Street
8. Sex and The City
9. Meet the Goldbergs
10. The Big Bang Theory
10 of My Favorite Lies that I Have Told My Children
1. “Mommy doesn’t know how to change batteries. Only Daddy knows how to do that.” (I literally did not change a battery during my husband’s entire 9 month deployment!)
2. “Mommies have long hair to cover the eyes we have on the backs of our heads.” (This one backfired on me, however, when I told my 5 year old that I could not look at what he was showing me while I was driving. He responded with, “Just use your back eyes, Mommy.”)
3. This one I told to one of my children’s friends…”When you are swimming and your lips turn purple, it means you are starting to turn into a mermaid. If you don’t get out of the water right away, your legs will turn into a fin and you will be stuck living in the water forever. That will make your mommy very sad.”
4. Sometimes Army living forces us into unique holiday situations. Often, we have Christmas at our house a week or two early because we travel to see family during the actual holidays. I have explained to my kids that “Santa comes to our house earlier than he comes to your cousins’ because we live closer to the North Pole.”
5. Speaking of Santa, when questioned as to why Mommy and Daddy don’t have to go to bed before Santa comes, I have explained that “Mommy and Daddy have to wait up to let Santa in (my son was very freaked out by the concept of Santa entering our home via chimney) and then we make sure he brought the right gifts and we help him wrap them (this also explains why Mommy uses the same wrapping paper as the Santa gifts).
6. “Yes, this ice cream is, indeed, jalapeno ice cream. You won’t like it at all. It is very spicy.”
7. “The little moles that you have on your body are angel kisses. The more you have means the angels just love that much more. And the raised ones are super special angel kisses.”
8. On days when my children relentlessly beg to go shopping for a new toy, I tell them it is a special holiday and all of the stores are closed.
9. “Mommy doesn’t know how to transform that Transformer back into its robot form.” (That’s not really a lie! However, I probably could figure it out if I tried.)
10. “If you eat too much cheese, you will never poop again.”
That is all from the edge. I hope you enjoyed! Please stay tuned for my special 1 year blogiversary post coming up in 10 days! (There will be other regularly scheduled posts in between.)
Linking up with these Fabulous Link Ups Where I Link Up